Diari d'un professor a NY: serà un recull de les meves observacions, pensaments i emocions de una aventura que m'ha portat a New York a fer de professor. Diari d'un professor a NY: será una colección de mis observaciones, pensamientos y emociones de una aventura que me ha llevado a New York a trabajar como profesor. Diari d'un professor a NY: will be a collection of observations, thaugts and emotions of an adventure that brought me to New York to work as a teacher.

Sunday, August 22, 2004

Two weeks in NY

Out of respect for the people that doesn't speak Catalan, neither Spanish I'm going to write part of my diary in English.

I arrived to NY fifteen days ago. I slept in a Hotel/Residence for students in Brooklyn, NYC Department of Education NYCDOE paid for it. Today I moved to Harlem, I’m staying for 5/7 days in the studio of a girl from Catalunya which is out of the city, she did a sublet to a couple from Badalona (my future flat mates).

Housing here is in a way easy but sometimes really difficult. I mean, there’s lots of web pages, ad everywhere to find a place. But it soooo expensive and sometimes you are offered rooms or apartments in really bad conditions. No light, dirt, holes on the walls etc.

We decided to share an apartment and find one that fits our expectations it’s a two bedroom one, two bathrooms and a nice living room, lots of light, the kitchen is fully equipped and brand new. In fact we were told to move in there the 26th of August but it seems it will be a bit later because they are finish it…. Seriously. It’s just 8 min walking from Central Park. I really wanted to be near it. It’s also just 8 stops from my school. So it’s well placed. Maybe it’s a bit expensive but I think we’ll manage.

Sometimes on the train (here we call train what in Europe is called underground or subway (el metro)) I just open the NY Lonely Planet guide I have and read a bit, then I decide to go to a place. Many times are not touristy spots just shops or markets. I walk randomly, alone many times ( I’m alone here but I don’t feel alone*) in NY everything can happen. All kind of business you can imagine: spa for dogs, bar for cats I promise it (another day I’ll give you the address). After going to a bikes shop I was walking around the east Village. I saw a place which was funny decorated, firstly I thought it was another bikes shop because there were many wheels, painted in many colors. I guy invited me to go in. I went, it was an Art Gallery, many people in silence looking all of them to the artist who was like performing with a cutter and kind of cello tape, this colored one you use to repair things home (cinta aislante) he was drawing lines with it… everybody was staring at it, some of them drinking, some others just watching. The place wasn’t so big, the other pieces they had, some were actually so beautiful. Strange honestly but nice. Getting in to those galleries is something everybody have to do when coming to NY because you never know what you’ll see inside.

Few days ago on the way back to the residence I saw some umbrellas opened, it wasn’t raining, Some of them had written papers on it. They were “advertising” an special tour. A tour going to visit some buildings of companies that make big business thanks to the wars. The program consisted in going one after the other in front of the buildings that host some companies. We stood there and read a bit of information of the company whistled a bit a that was it. Policemen came with us organized a bit the protester in our walk and the other pedestrian. The tourist guide even thanked them at the end of the action. We were just like 60 people. But I liked it because I talked to some people there and they explained me that in the city there a bit of social movement, they explained me who they are: http://www.m27coalition.org
Here in NY there’s lot of people against Bush agenda. Next week, George Bush and the Republicans are coming to visit. There are many actions and anti-republican convention events planed and also a big demonstration. One of the more active organizations is http://www.notinourname.net/index.html . It’s nice to confirm that here in the US not everybody thinks like the president Bush… but I would like to know much more about them because I don’t know if they are against of the war, if they are against of the actual globalization and which daily actions they have and how they work. If I go to one demonstration I will take care, in fact I just have a visa and if something happends my adventure finishes. I don’t want that. Daddy, mummy don’t worry. I’ll go and I’ll take care. If you see something violent on the tv ( it’s what they will show…) Don’t think maybe he is there… you better think it’s quite improbable he is there.

Soon I have to talk about the sentence: NY the city that never sleeps…. (it’s definitely true!) and also about an interesting old man (86 year old) I met the other; Jacob BenLevi.

I'm happy, here I'm myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home